Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Challenge #9 - Ring out the Old, Bring in the New

Hello Everyone!

Anne here and I am your hostess this for this month's challenge here at Anything But Cute. Thank you so much for all your fantastic entries to our December challenge, it was wonderful to see how the challenge inspired you! There must be some delighted recipients of happy mail out there! Don't forget to check back with us next Tuesday, the 12th, when Niki and the team announce the winners of the 'You've Got Happy Mail' challenge. Now on to this month's theme.

If you are anything like me, you will will no doubt receive crafty gifts for Christmas and Birthdays each year, some of which may remain unused for many months or even years.... I think a few of you might be nodding yes!   I felt inspired to create a challenge to deal with that very issue, and I hope the challenge will inspire you to use some of that new stash too!

RING OUT THE OLD, BRING IN THE NEW

To celebrate the New Year, we would like you to create a mixed media card or project using something 'new', perhaps you got some fabulous new craft item for Christmas or you have something new that you have not used yet - just remember to tell us what the new item is! 

***
And now for some inspiration from the talented Anything But Cute design team!

Anne - Redanne
For my birthday and Christmas this year I received some beautiful Sandra Evertson Archival Casts, by Prima and I really wanted to use this beautiful Archangel.  It just seemed right to create a shrine for the Archangel . I used Andy Skinner's mega crackle technique to create the shrine and I also used my new Tim Holtz flower punch to create some flowers to decorate the shrine.  You can find more detail on my blog.

Branka - Vintage Handmade
Happy New Year! I have used some of my new Amsterdam acrylic paints in creating this vintage art journal page. I have also used my fluorescent oil pastels, Distress stains, Inktense pencils, Dylusions sprays, some stamps and embellishments. 

Cec - CW Card Creations
I have used new tags that my husband brought home when he cleared out his desk last week and retired :).  The tags are all inked with some new distress inks, stenciled and stamped.  I have also added some altered metal, painted cardboard and dyed fibres.

Niki - Pawsitively Creative Crafts
All of the art supplies I used are NEW. This is also a new look for me, as I have never made a "white space" design that actually turned out okay. I have used my new LSG Magicals, new modeling paste, new rope, new micro beads and so much more! Such a fun nautical tag all designed around the heart knot. Just learned how to tie the heart rope knot today. Carpe Diem to 2016! Hugz!

Pamellia - My Little Craft Things
For my something new, I have made this New Years canvas with some products I had on hand that I have never used, as well as some new products that I got for Christmas. For the tutorial portion of my project this month, I have put together a video of how I made my canvas. I do hope you enjoy.



Samra - Paper Talk with Samra
I used a Spellbinders Sentiment 5 die I got for Christmas from my son :) Of course, I added lots of texture paste, paint and clay mold embellishments to fit into our challenge mixed media style, but still kept it quite Shabby Chic.

Sara Emily - sarascloset

Happy New Year! To make a monetary gift wallet I used my never-before-used-by-me but not so new deer dies, inks, paints, Crackle paint, embossing powders, and glitter. Please stop by my blog for details on how I made this snowy scene and how I kept the "bucks" from falling out.

***

In the short time I have been a member of this team I have seen some truly inspirational work by my talented team-mates and this month is no exception. Please hop over to the team blogs to see more photos and get some details on how these projects were made. And don't forget to leave some bloggy love while you're there.

I hope that we have inspired you to get out some of that new stash, or stash you have squirreled away and forgotten about and create a project for this challenge... please do remember to tell us what that new item is.

The winner will receive the honour of being our Guest Designer for an upcoming challenge!

Here at Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a lucky mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Challenge runs until February 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with! Happy Crafting from the entire team and thanks for visiting Anything But Cute!

Don't forget - We are looking for a 'new' PRODUCT.
not a 'new' technique, products only please.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects everyone! I'm going to try and play... fingers crossed I get some time. Can you believe I got "NOTHING" crafty for Christmas ;) Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! Have you been "naughty"??? :)

      Delete
    2. I'm always naughty! Found something "NEW"... had to make them myself...LMAO!

      Delete
  2. As usual ladies, you have blown my socks off with your amazing talent!! I've been around to visit you and I am just so impressed with the creativity and I adore watching how your projects come to life!! Thanks for all your hard work! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge thanks to my wonderfully talented teamies for creating such fantastic projects to start my challenge off. I am so looking forward to seeing all the entries now! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, my crafty teamies! These are gorgeous works of art! I can't wait to visit all your blogs (and see the video, Pamellia) to see what your mixed media tricks are! I learn so much from all of you! And I can't wait to see those great entries, too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES YES YES... RING OUT THE OLD unread ABC instructions and BRING IN THE NEW - read and reread ABC instructions!!! HEHEHEHEH. Thanks bunches for such SUPER FINE inspirations from your DT.... loved seeing them all. Hugs. j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really wonderful inspiration from the team - very much looking forward to hopping round for a closer look.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful projects and super inspiration. Your such a talented team.
    Happy New Year to you all, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous creations from all DT members! Looking forward for more inspirations to learn & get inspired for new techniques & ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects as always from the DT and a great theme Anne! Thanks so much for your inspiration, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brand new here and new follower. I am just eating up all the inspiration from the design team because I want to try more mixed media projects this year. I have done a few, but I am still trying to learn what it really means to do Mixed Media and to discover by experimenting what style works for me. I love seeing what others are doing and am so glad to have found this blog!! Thanks for the lovely challenge!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome Janis! At the top of our blog is a tab that says: Challenge Info. If you click on it, it describes what Mixed Media is for this challenge blog. Just remember to use at least one wet medium and have fun doing it! Hehe! Hugz! ~Niki DT

      Delete
  11. Brilliant theme and glad I have been able to play along too! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. FABULOUS creations from an incredibly talented team! I HAD to join in with this! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all your inspiration with your amazing creations, so pleased i came across your blog as just getting into mixed media side of things and im loving it...Hugs Lozzy
    Iv entered with my canvas no 39 and forgot to add what's new on my posted, (sorry) have added what's new now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you here and joining in the fun! Thank you for adding the NEW art supply item to your post Lozzy! Hugz. ~Niki DT

      Delete
  14. Wanted to join all your lovely crAfters to show the new I've made from the old

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful projects, thankyou Sara for the link to this challenge. Hopefully my mixed media adventures will become less CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome inspirations! Fabulous challenge too - I was good and got mixed media supplies yay! Many thanks for the challenge and the inspirations Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just want to say, I love this site and this challenge. Thank you for making it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow wow wow.... I am SMILING BIG... look at all the wondrous artwork and over 100 people submitting such incredible creations. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL. EXCITING for sure!!! YEAH. j.

    ReplyDelete