Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 5, 2015

Challenge #2 - June - Make It Masculine

Hello, Cec here and I am your hostess for the second challenge at Anything But Cute. We were pleased that so many of you joined us for our first challenge and you certainly  pulled out all the stops to make some fantastic projects. Don't forget to check back with us next Tuesday when Branka and the team announce the winners of the Vintage Garden Challenge. Now on to this month's theme.

MAKE IT MASCULINE

I decided to call the June challenge Make It Masculine and would like you to make a mixed media card or other project for a fellow in your life. It could be for Father's Day, a birthday, an anniversary or just because you want him to know how special he is.

***
The Anything But Cute design team has created some wonderful inspiration for you.  I encourage you to click on their name, which will take you directly to their blog so you check out all the details.


I made this Father's Day card for my husband and it features stenciling with both texture paste and distress ink, a panel covered in casting material, a handmade hot air balloon along with some metal embellishments. Lots of ink sprays and wax paste were added to create a unified colour palette.

***

I decided to create a steampunk style cardboard hanging plate with cogs, gears and pipes for my son. The pipes were made of plastic straws that left from my daughter's birthday party. I used black gesso for the base and then applied my antique paste in bronze. Also, I used an acetate package and a printable downloaded image. 

***
To be honest I wasn't really sure how this would turn out. I had an idea in my head that I wanted to do a little deep canvas with cogs, Tim Holtz embellies and left over items from an Ikea haul ages a go. With this I just ran with the mojo, and a happy little helper, and created!

***
This is my first masculine piece. It isn't a card, or a canvas, but recycled manila folders. With the 4th of July coming up, I first thought of our soldiers (masculine to the nines) and how much they have done for my country. This piece will be an abandoned art piece at a local Veterans Hospital to say thank you to whomever picks it up.  

***
I have been dying to try out some new earthy type techniques using my new DecoArt products, so this was the perfect opportunity. I have altered a book box for my Dad for Father's Day. Lots of faux bark, wood, leather and metal to make it masculine! It's sort of Steampunk meets the Deep Woods!

***

As soon as I saw the theme Cec picked for this challenge, I knew what I was going to make:this frame to put a picture from amazing 70,000 Tons Of Metal Cruise I went to with my husband earlier this year. This is the first time I used aluminum foil tape and it was so much fun!!! The gears were either die cuts or crafter clay molds and bolts and nuts were the real metal ones.

***

I had this cigar box on my shelf for over 2 years with one piece of home made background paper on it. I had visions of leather and rust when I started, and I hope I was able to convey that in using various products and techniques I've either picked up here and there or just experimented with. I probably used every single type of mixed media product in my Closet on this leathery-John-Wayne-turned-greasy Steampunk box I made for my husband.

***

Now I hope we have inspired you to get your mixed media supplies out and create a masculine project to share with us.

The winner will receive the honour of being our Feature Artist for an upcoming challenge!

Here at Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?
Be sure to add "newbie" after your name in the linky, so we know who you are.

Challenge runs until July 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with! Be sure to review our guidelines. Happy Crafting from the entire team and thanks for visiting Anything But Cute!


41 comments:

  1. What a fabulous line up of inspiration from my teamies! Cec, you picked a perfect challenge theme for this month, so everyone can create a special something for the man in their life. I can't wait to visit each of your blogs to see all the details! Well done Cec, Branka, Georgie, Niki, Pamellia, and Samra! These gifts are going to be treasured! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great DT work..I struggle with masculine but you have all made winners. I will put on my thinking cap and join the fun soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous line up of inspiration from my teamies! Cec, you picked a perfect challenge theme for this month, so everyone can create a special something for the man in their life. I can't wait to visit each of your blogs to see all the details! Well done Cec, Branka, Georgie, Niki, Pamellia, and Samra! These gifts are going to be treasured! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great challenge with an amazing line up of inspirations from the DT's. The "men" are lucky this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic projects and great inspirations, many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Brilliant creations by all the DT. Not very good at masculine but will try to do something to add to this months challenge. Thank you all for the inspiration.

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing projects from the DT..

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wonderful creations from the DT team, you ladies rock the rust!
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh - what incredible makes for this more difficult theme. You sure are a talented bunch - awesome lineup. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would never know that men are often difficult to make things for when you see the wonderful inspiration from the Design Team! Wow! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible inspiration from a super talented DT.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work ladies, really hope to play this time - sorry didnt get to join in for your first challenge. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great inspiration makes everyone!! Looking forward to joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wish I had the time to join in love the topic. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So excited to see what you amazing artists make! This was my first masculine card so if I can do it, anyone can do it! Lol! Hugz and Happy Crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing DT Creations :) WOWZER!!!
    I'm so happy that i found your Blog and can join your challenge.

    Best Wishes, Dunja xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic inspiration from the design team!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome work <3
    theme perfect for this month ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The projects by all the DT, are amazing and truly awe-inspiring! I just hope that one day some of your magic-dust will come and settle on my shoulders.

    Hugs,
    Jennifer. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome DT work....and to think I nearly forgot to enter my card.xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful inspiration by your design team!

    ReplyDelete
  22. please .... I can not find how do register me you ? ( Follow by Email)
    merci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know March. I have now installed the Follow by Email gadget in the sidebar. :)

      Delete
  23. help :-( I can't find your "Follow by Email"

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for all the inspiration and for the fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect theme this month with Father's Day coming soon! Great inspirations from the DT, can't wait to see what everyone creates!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful design team inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job by DT on this months challenge. I had so much fun playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, We are so happy to see you all here, and can't wait to see each and every one of your creations! Thank you for all your positive feedback! March, so sorry we missed your first request for a e-mail follow button! Hope it's all working now! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow what amazing inspiration from the team, wonderful pieces of art full of texture, dimension, all so tactile. Love them. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  31. So glad I found this page. I love doing Not cute pages in my journal. I found you through Anne Redfern on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you found us! Welcome, and we hope you will continue to visit and join in our challenges! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

      Delete
  32. Ummm where have you been hiding! Just found you this morning because I stalk Anne like nobody's business. I will be adding your blog to my my blog in the challenge blog section. And I will be playing! YAY...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, so happy you found us! Anne's a great one to stalk, and it was fantastic to have her here as Feature Artist! And we are honored and pleased to have your join our challenges! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

      Delete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Pamellia I have added those changes to my post if you want to pop over and check that its ok now. If not I have just posted another post that I can change to suit. x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for adding that to your post, Dee! I love your fabulous metal finishes! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Incredible makes from the design team - so much talent in one place - I can see me becoming a regular visitor n hopefully participator in the monthly challenges . x

    ReplyDelete