Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 13, 2015

Introducing Niki

Hello Everyone!

Today I am here to introduce you the next member of the Anything But Cute design team. I only recently discovered Niki's blog, but I knew instantly that she was a talented lady that I wanted to get to know better. Please hang around and learn a little bit more about this fabulous artist and see some of her amazing mixed media work!



Hello there y'all! I am a Southern girl (but not a Southern Belle) that loves any and all animals. I have been a Veterinary Technician for over 12 years and my fur babies are my heart, my DH is on that list as well but he is my heart and soul. Awwww! I love being able to help any and all animals (even the slimy ones, and ones with scales-snakes are one of my favorites) stay healthy and live long, amazing lives. Every day I work with animals I feel that unconditional love and am overwhelmed by the depth of their devotion to their human. Amazing creatures!

I am relatively new to mixed media and challenge blogs. Back in April 2014 my husband bought me a couple of canvases and an acrylic paint set for my birthday. I wasn't thrilled about it at first. When I was younger I drew, painted, and crafted all the time but at age 17 I broke both of my arms, and never got back into my art because I couldn't use my left hand/wrist like normal. I gave up my art. So when I saw the art supplies my husband bought me I figured I would give it a go just to make him happy. Boy was he (and I) in for a huge surprise when I finished my first piece. At the time, I loved my first piece but kept thinking that I could improve and I like to believe that I have improved by leaps and bound due to the challenge blogs that I found and also because of the wonderfully talented and supportive people I have found in Blog lang. You all make me challenge myself every time I create something and I just want to say thank you very much for that.

***
Niki has picked out a few of her favourite mixed media projects to share with us today. She has such an amazing way of combining textures and her ideas are so unique and simply brilliant!

***

This is the first canvas I ever created. I leave it hanging up on my wall because it reminds me of how far I have come with my mixed media. I think it is certainly lacking in a lot of areas but I did make my own texture paste and had fun using sprays, mists, and inks on it. Do you still have your first art piece? We all improve with practice and the willingness to create outside our comfort zones. :)


The title says it all for this canvas-Dark Paradise. I just lost my baby girl Raj on 9/30/14. She was 15 years old and had Mast Cell Tumors/Cancer. I did 7 surgeries on my baby and also chemo. She was wagging her tail and happy until the last surgery. She just couldn't recover from it and she looked at me, I asked her if it was her time to go and she layed down. That let me know she was done and I had to let go. This was the hardest decision I have ever had to make but I loved her enough to let go. She is greatly missed more and more each day that she is gone and will never be forgotten. Some people may wonder why 7 surgeries, at first I wasn't going to do any more after 3 but the tumors ulcerated and had to be removed.


This next piece is an ATB, my first ever ATB-Artist Trading Block. I made the box by hand and kept with my inspiration of Breakfast At Tiffany's. This was given to another artist in a swap. It was fun to make a decorate all the different sides but the best part is what is hidden in the box-a washcloth cupcake! I didn't want to ship a real cupcake. Lol





I have always been a fan of anything Steampunk and it is my go to for creating. I made this flat back canvas using Rusting Powder and materials that I upcycled/recycled. Rusting powder is interesting and fun to use-plus you have to use vinegar to activate it-wait WHAT! Yeppers. Intrigued? Want to know more about Rusting Powder? Check back here on May 26th to learn more!


My next art share, is along the lines of Steampunk as well. I have been on the lookout for a wonderful shaped top hat to make some Steampunk creations but could never find anything I liked. A month or two ago I happened upon this wonderful template and have been creating these mini top hats with glee. There are so many possibilities!



***

Well, I think you will agree that Niki is a mixed media genius, I am so excited to see what she comes up with for our challenges!

Please come and visit us again on Thursday, April 16 when we introduce our next Design Team member, and don't forget to hit that Follow button while you're here!

22 DAYS UNTIL OUR FIRST CHALLENGE GOES LIVE - MAY 5 - DON"T MISS IT!

Happy Crafting!
Pamellia :)

18 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Niki's work :) Not only that she is a great mixed media artist, she is also super fun young lady that has abundance of creativity and mojo! Great choice Pamellia!!! Congratulations Niki!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen some of Niki's work before and loved it, especially those hats. Now that I see all these pieces in one spot and read the stories that go with them, I can see why she has been chosen for this team. Wonderful work Niki.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww shucks Cec! I think I am blushing. Lol! Thanks little lady and Hugz!

      Delete
  3. It is so good to see Niki on this Mixed Media Challenge Blog--her work is perfect for this! Another great pick by Pamellia!

    Niki--your work is awesome, and I'm so happy you shared your first canvas and the story about your crafting "career"! I love all you work, but my favorite has got to be those hats! And I love those rusted pieces! Congratulations, Niki! Hugs, Punkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches Sara! My first canvas looks so blah now, but it was my starter canvas so it is all good. Hugz!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful creations Niki, cannot wait till May 5th

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop whoop to May 5th! I can't wait to see what you create Jacquie! :)

      Delete
  5. Bravo, Pamellia! Great choice! I am so thrilled and excited to have a super talented teamie such as Niki! I adore her artwork and I like her personality since she is so positive and fun young lady! Congratulations, Niki and welcome to the team! It is going to be a great pleasure for me to work with you!
    Big hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Branka and thank goodness I eat Pawsitivety for breakfast! I am just a big goof ball. So excited to be on this amazing team and sharing our journey. Hugz to you muffin!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Niki, you are perfect for Pamellia's team. Stunning array here of your fantastic creations. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, those are kind words and I thank you very much Nicola! Hope to see you here on May 5th! ~Niki

      Delete
  7. Congrats Niki on your DT spot, so well deserved!! You are so talented and how glad you must be now that your hubby took the chance and got you those art supplies?!! :)

    And WOW your work is just stunning, those hats are just amaaaa-zing!!
    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Gee! My DH created a monster after getting me those art supplies. Now I am an art supply junkie. Lol! Hugz!

      Delete
  8. You are such an inspiration Doc! So glad to have you on board with me!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shucks Bubbles! I can say the same thing about you muffin! Hugz and thank you!

      Delete
  9. Just love that you put in your first piece Niki - so fun to see. It was really great and it's wonderful to know you kept on creating after receiving your hubby's gift! I am similar to you - new to the scene and surprising myself by what I create! It's an amazing feeling!!! Sooooooo looking forward to seeing MUCH more of your super creativity on Anything But Cute. I am VERY excited about Pamellia's new venture. Thanks bunches for sharing. j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the craft world Joi! So many wonderful and supportive individuals out here in Blog Land and I am happy that you shared you were new to the scene. I look forward to seeing what you create dearie! Hugz!

      Delete